Saturday, August 9, 2008

Camping with Our Ward (aka Church Folks--ya'll)

Friday we left Bellingham and headed over to Cascade Park in Arlington for the "Summer's Quarters" Ward Camp out. It was our first time camping together and even though we only spent one night--we left with many memories!

We showed up at 3:30pm--and not many people were, we entertained ourselves down by the river throwing(me) and skipping (Shaun) rocks. Then we found a sweet rope/plastic barrel seat swing. I tried it out first to test if it was safe.

Afterwards, Shaun tried it too and I nearly lost my balance and fell on my face trying to push him. (His ride was a little short---not as much "Weee" as mine.)

We also made pita bread pizzas for dinner. We brought Canadian bacon, onions, green bell peppers, pizza sauce, cheese, mushrooms, olives...and stuffed them into the pocket of the pita. Then we wrapped them in foil and put them in the fire. We lost one in our first try. We found out the foil wasn't as strong as we expected and as the foil burned up on one side--it effectively saved us the trouble of burning those pizza calories. For desert we continued to wrap things in foil...a banana stuffed with mini chocolate chips and marshmallows. Success! They turned out so made a third.

While we were finishing dinner, our camp neighbors (and real life neighbors) arrived, the Mumfords (minus wife Julia). Nigel, the youngest, showed off his "guns" (I mean strong arms)--as he received 5 immunization shots that day in preparation for starting Kindergarten in the fall Tom and Tim are seen posing for the camera by the fire-bowl, later to be the site for a rousing song circle under Tom's command!

After all the songs, Shaun and I went back to out tent and laid down on the picnic table outside and looked at the stars (very romantic). After the clouds moved in, we moved into our tent. At about 1am...we were awakened--by who we guessed was Tim. He un-zipped the tent and without speaking stood at the bottom of our sleeping bag and seemed to be staring at us. We said, "I think you're in the wrong tent......Is that Tim?" No answer. After a moment, the slender figure started to leave the tent. We said, I think your over one tent." He left. We think we heard him getting into another tent (not his--but at least the next tent was empty). We both fell to sleep again. At about 5:45am it started to rain....and then it stopped after 5 minutes. And then, it started again...but did not stop.

We had breakfast with the ward and went home. It was a fun trip. Both of us were exhausted after we got home. (We really didn't sleep to well.) So, we chilled for the rest of the day.

Fun Fun!

No comments: