Friday, May 27, 2011

Secret Murray Family Recipe REVEALED!

This Memorial weekend marks the anniversary of when Shaun and I really met in Bothell, WA at a Memorial Day BBQ. Shaun needed to "home teach" (LDS church thing) my friend, Annika, who brought me, after the BBQ.
 I sat through her lesson on General Conference talks from April 2006. We all went to someone's house afterwards to watch a movie (Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventures) and Shaun and I sat near eachother and talked. Bill and Ted isn't exactly a movie I need silence for.... At the end of the night, I asked the room if anyone wanted my cell number to put in their contacts--(wink wink Shaun). Shaun took it down and invited me to another church activity that week. We went on a date each night that week and by the end of the week--went to a movie (X-Men 3) and none of our friends showed up. We held hands and later that night, had our first kiss. The following week, we said "I love you," and the third week, we got engaged. So, this is a special time of year when I remember my quick decision to commit to Shaun and am always so happy it worked out so well.


Anyway, since I'm in such a happy mood, I want to share with you a salad recipe I got from my great grandmother when I was in high school. She made it at a Family Reunion when I was 14. Its a simple sweet salad...but the dressing is what makes it. 


Mango Chutney- Salad
Chutney Dressing

1 cup salad oil 
1/3 cup white vinegar
1 teaspoon salt
1 clove garlic, grated
1 cup mango chutney (buy in store by salad dressings in little jar)


Put all ingredients in jar and shake well, and refrigerate. Serve in a bowl.


Salad for Chutney Dressing
1 head of Romaine (or other green), washed, dried
1 can pineapple Rings ( or use fresh)
Paprika


Break up lettuce leaves, keeping them rather small. Put them in a large flat serving bowl. Take pineapple rings and roll the edge of them in paprika. Then arrange them on top of the greens. Let each person take some greens and pineapple, and put the chutney dressing on themselves.


When choosing a chutney, each tastes VERY different...and may affect if you like the dressing or LOVE the dressing. I suggest the two following brands. 





I like Crosse & Blackwell Genuine Major Grey's Chutney
This chutney will be at your grocery store.
Stone Wall Kitchen's Major Grey's Chutney
This chutney I've only found in specialty fancy kitchen stores. 


NOTE: Expect to pay 7-10 dollars for a 9 oz. bottle of Chutney. (Expensive) But you don't have a lot of other ingredients in the salad--so it balances out. 


I've been very secretive with the recipe in the past--but now, I'll share with you---my friends. Enjoy!!!!! 

No comments: